St Margaret's Well, Princes Street Gardens. This historic spring well-head takes its name from Queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm Canmore. It provided water to Edinburgh Castle and was attached to the defensive gateway of the Castle Well-House Tower. It reads, “The fountain of ancient wellhouse tower celebrated in the history of the castle since the time of St Margaret, Queen of Scotland in the eleventh century. Restored by the officers of the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders AD 1873."