London, 1839 King Charles statue. Oldest known photo of London

10 Early Photographs Mapped on SepiaTown

The Bunch of Grapes, Limehouse. | 18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

The Bunch of Grapes, Limehouse.

The Harbour Master's Office and The Grapes public house in Narrow Street, Limehouse, London.

The George Inn, Southwark. | 18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

The George Inn, Southwark.The George Inn survives as one of London’s last remaining medieval coaching Inns that Dickens refers to in Little Dorrit and would have visited himself.

18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

This is reputedly the house that Dickens used as inspiration for Fagin’s Lair in Oliver Twist. The Artful Dodger and Oliver Twist walk from Islington down to ‘a house near Field Lane’ which was an area renowned for its rookery. 18 Vintage Photos Of Charle

18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

18 Vintage Photos Of Charles Dickens' London

The George Inn, Southwark. The George Inn survives as one of London’s last remaining medieval coaching Inns that Dickens refers to in Little Dorrit and would have visited himself.

London, Elephant And Castle 1885. This crowded region south of the river was once the heart of #London cockney life. The Elephant and Castle, a great meeting place of thoroughfares, was termed a ‘ganglion of roads’ by Dickens in ‘Bleak House’.

London, Elephant And Castle This crowded region south of the river was once the heart of cockney life. The Elephant and Castle, a great meeting place of thoroughfares, was termed a ‘ganglion of roads’ by Dickens in ‘Bleak House’.

The building with the canopy is Bridge House, George Row, Bermondsey, in 1926. Built around 1705 and demolished in 1950, the place was once surrounded by the Jacob's Island rookery.

[Wrong era, but great inspiration for Eva's book] The building with the canopy is Bridge House, George Row, Bermondsey, in Built around 1705 and demolished in the place was once surrounded by the Jacob's Island rookery.

An East London pet store in the 1890's with a wall of caged song-birds at Club Row.

An East London pet store in the with a wall of caged song-birds at Club Row. The Huguenots were known for loving caged birds.

Bethnal Green slum  Google search

London Slum Market Court, Kensington Who would have thought there once was a slum in an area that now has Harrods and Harvey Nichols in it?

Wych Street in 1870 before demolition in 1901. It ran from the western end of St…

Wych Street in 1870 before demolition in It ran from the western end of St…

Pinterest
Search