The couple brought most of the house’s furnishings from their previous home, including the living room’s hand-knotted South Persian Gabbeh that belonged to Philip Heid, Ted’s father. Philip put in the pond, beyond, when he bought the property.
The Bauhaus moved from Weimar, Germany, to the town of Dessau in 1925. Gropius’s new school building opened in 1926. The design includes three wings divided by function (workshops, school, and administration) and features a glass curtain wall accentuated by a steel frame. The building, along with the nearby Masters’ Houses, was named to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1996.